Monday, February 8, 2010

Lolita pg 109-140

In the section assigned of Lolita it talks mainly about Humbert and Lolita's life after Lolita's mother has died. It talks about Humbert traveling with Lolita and how he tries to make sure Lolita will not reveal his dark pedophile secret. Humbert also looks into other housing and into schooling for Lolita. He chooses a school that he can see the playground from his study but unfortunately for him construction is put up and he no longer and watch.

Humbert never ceases to creep me out. Just when you kind of get the feel of normality he will throw in some sick term like "For there is no other bliss on earth comparable to that of fondling a nymphet," or when he talks about getting out binoculars and watching the playground. Those two quotes stir up such disgusting realizations in my mind. To think of all the pedophiles that have binoculars and are constantly being voyeurs I really hope no one watched me when I was little that would be so creepy i do not even want to think about it. What would be even worse is for a parent to find out that their children are being watched or violated. I could see a lot of homicides as a result of parents finding out about pedophiles.

Even though Nabokov can be very sketchy with his creepy pedophile subject he is a very amazing writer I really like this quote for example, "as he barbered some late garden blooms or watered his car, or, at a later date, defrosted his driveway (I don’t mind if these verbs are all wrong)," I would never have thought of that myself to write things like he was cutting some flowers to put in his house as "as he barbered some late garden blooms," that sounds a million times better than my phrase. I guess that's why I am a college freshman and Nabokov is a famous writer.

Near the end of the section Humbert is starting to get a little paranoid that someone will find out his secret. He talks about all his neighbors and which ones he is worried about most and which do what in relation to Lolita but this quote sums up his fear best I feel, "I often felt we lived in a lighted house of glass, and any moment some thin-lipped parchment face would peer through a carelessly unshaded window to obtain a free glimpse of things that the most jaded voyeur would have paid a small fortune to watch." I wonder if Humbert will not try and move Himself and Lolita to a more isolated place and whether that will spark Lolita to come forward about Humbert and how this whole story will come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment