Sunday, February 14, 2010

Last Lolita Blog

The end of Lolita really made me feel bad for Humbert Humbert. It made me wonder if Humbert Humbert had any real friends. He only lived with Lolita and her mom for a short period of time. The book never really talks about him having any friends. Not only do I feel like Lolita's childhood was messed up but I feel like Humbert Humbert's adulthood was messed up. All he had was Lolita his one love, I really do think he loved her, and when Lolita was taken away by Que i feel like Humbert died a little bit inside. Humbert had nothing to live for no real family, no real friends, Lolita was really the only person in his life. That is probably what drove Humbert to murder. I could not imagine living my adult life alone. I have a hard enough time being alone for a Friday or Saturday night.

Even when he shot the man who kidnapped Lolita he found no resolution. He actually felt even worse with his pedophilia and the addition to murder on his hand. All of this guilt in addition to being completely alone in the world I am surprised he did not end up killing himself. He does however do something that I have always randomly thought about doing, and that is drive on the other side of the road. I have always thought what it'd be like to swerve onto the other side of the road or into on coming traffic or off a cliff.

At the end of the story when Humbert is describing a kind of hill he is sitting on and taking in all of nature and surroundings just waiting on the police to pick him up for driving on the opposite side of the road and murder, I can really imagine this ending scene being the ending of a movie, when the protagonist has been shot and is sitting on a hill with the sunset in the background taking his last few breaths with inspirational music playing in the background that tries to bring a tear to the viewers eye. Humbert's life is over and he knows it that's why I relate it to a dying protagonist because Humbert is really dead in this season, nothing to live for guilt upon guilt upon guilt with the police only minutes away from arresting him and a trial to likely condemn him to jail for most of his life if not all of it.

The dialogue at the end i did not really retain much from unfortunately other than the fact that Humbert Humbert had a hard time publishing it, he did not have a real clear straight forward theme to his book and that a lot of readers didn't read past the sexual parts because they got bored with Humbert Humbert. Sentences like this did not help either because half the words I had no idea what they meant "My private tragedy, which cannot, and indeed should not, be anybody’s concern, is that I had to abandon my natural idiom, my untrammeled, rich, and infinitely docile Russian tongue for a second-rate brand of English, devoid of any of those apparatuses — the baffling mirror,the black velvet backdrop, the implied associations and traditions — which the native illusionist, frac-tails flying,can magically use to transcend the heritage in his own way."

Overall I did enjoy the ending of the story it had both action (the murder scene) some irony (Que's guests laughing thinking that Humbert was joking around about killing Que) and it even made you think, at the end with the scene on the hill that was a sorta look back on everything that happened in the novel and life in general moment that makes you think about not only your own life but society in general from a different perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment