Friday, January 29, 2010

America/Baggage Room

In Ginsberg's work called America I see him being fed up with the United States. He is tired of their war monguring he can't take it how we blow stuff up. "America when will we end our human war? Go fuck yourself with your atom bomb." "America when will you send your eggs to India?" When Ginsberg talks about eggs I think he is referring to bombs. Ginsberg is also tired of all the things he feels that are imposed on him by America so he rebels. "I'd better consider my national resources. My national resources consists of two joints of marijuana millions of genitals an unpublishable private literature that goes 1400 miles an hour and twenty five thousand mental institutions. In this work I feel like Ginsberg is venting about all the things he does not like about America and how it is bias against him.

In Ginsberg's Baggage Room he is in a Greyhound terminal and starts thinking philosophically he sees people as their baggage and not as the actual humans themselves and the Spade as the angel or other worldly force guiding everyone. "Yet Spade reminded me of Angel," "pushing with his belly a huge tin horse piled high with black baggage," "holding high on his arm an iron shepherds crook." The iron Shepherd's crook gives me the impression of someone leading others and the bags I see as people. The narrator then talks about all the different packages and where they are going, I see this symbolizing as him thinking about all the different places and lives the people live in this world. I do the same thing when I am at an airport I start thinking about all the different intricate lives that each person must have as they walk by. I make up short little biographies of people as they pass by and why they might look and act the way they do. At the end I see Ginsberg trying to use symbolism as to the Greyhound bus being kind of like purgatory, the place in between life and death.

2 comments:

  1. Aaron,
    Great insight, especially on the Baggage Room poem. I have never thought about the room symbolically serving as a kind of purgatory between life and death. Also, I definitely do the same thing when I'm traveling in a public area whether it be an airport, train station, or subway. People watching can be really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting how Ginsberg can turn everyday objects and turn them into weapons and how he makes the United States look very vulgar.

    ReplyDelete