Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Glengarry Glen Ross Part 2

I could definitely not be a salesperson, that is way to much pressure on me. I also could not keep badgering someone who does not want to close. When someone does not want something i feel terrible continuing to try and get them to buy it. I guess that's why i some times have a hard time with fund raisers. Roma would not accept no as an answer from Lingk until Williamson lied and said the checks had been cashed and Lingk literally walked out the door.

The rhetoric and talking strategies of the salesmen really remind me of the movie Thank You for Smoking, "Roma: Where are you going...? This is me... This is Ricky, Jim. Jim, anything you want, you want it you have it. You understand? This is me. Something upset you. Sit down, now sit down. You tell me what it is. (Pause.) Am I going to help you fix it? You're goddamn right I am. Sit down. Tell you something...? Sometimes we need someone from outside. It's...no, sit down....Now talk to me." Roma seems to be side tracking the conversation from the deal to a personal level to make Lingk more easily persuaded later on to make the deal. Other sly talking like his description of how the check was not cashed yet also reminded me of Thank You for Not Smoking and quotes like this, "Kid #3: My Mommy says smoking kills.
Nick Naylor: Oh, is your Mommy a doctor?
Kid #3: No.
Nick Naylor: A scientific researcher of some kind?
Kid #3: No.
Nick Naylor: Well, then she's hardly a credible expert, is she?" is a perfect quote from Thank You for Smoking showing the rhetoric and the sly way both salespeople/representatives will gloss over things that could possibly be negative for themselves.

In the end it kind of sums up that a lot of sales people themselves don't even like their job Roma heads to the restaurant (a break from work) right as Aaronow pronounces that he hates his job.

No comments:

Post a Comment