Friday, February 12, 2010

Lolita pg 236-280

In this section both Humbert and Lolita get sick and Lolita is supposively taken by Humbert's uncle. I am amazed at how Humbert can drink so much gin and function and not wreck and die in his car and just keep it cool in general. I have "heard" it is pretty tough to function when you are that drunk and stay cool. I don't get how none of the people at the hospital notice his intoxicated state. I feel like Nabokov is eluding to societies problem with getting drunk when things don't go there way. Humbert is separated from Lolita for the first time and all Humbert does is drink and get sick. I feel like Humbert is going kind of crazy with the knowledge that he could get in a lot of trouble with what he is done. He thinks people are tailing him and that Lolita has some boyfriend he doesn't know about. "At the moment I knew my love was as hopeless as ever — and I also knew the two girls were conspirators, plotting in Basque, or Zemfirian,against my hopeless love." I see this as kind of sign of hysteria that he might be getting from all the alcohol and sickness.

Humbert brings Lolita books and roses in the hospital and Lolita pays no attention to them. I feel like Nabokov is trying to say society takes the sophisticated things in the world for granted they are focused on meaningless newspapers that have gossip trivial things in. "“what gruesome funeral flowers,”she said.“Thanks all the same.But do you mind very much cutting out the French? It annoys everybody.” I just see Nabokov alluding to the American society smearing culture in the face with this line that we want nothing to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment