Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Same River Twice pg 110-152

"I hope for a son who is not like me," pg 112 I think speaks volumes. I feel like everyone has doubts about themselves as people, they feel like they are inadequate and would want more for their children then their own life. I feel like Chris is putting responsibility on himself for how his child turns out and if the child's life is bad it will be because of his bad genes and all his fault. If I ever have a child I hope he or she is most like my mother and father because I respect them a great deal, as for being like me I am really not sure yet I have not proven my worth to anything yet, I am still in college "finding myself."

The advice shadrack gives the narrator on page 117 ending with "never ever yank your rod" really cracks me up. Other than it being an innuendo it reminds me of all the guys trying to give one of my old high school friend advice on women since he had never really had a girlfriend or anything through high school and he was going up to college and he wanted advise on women. I feel like most guys think they know a lot about women. Every guy has his own theories and philosophies but most of the time they really do not know much about the opposite sex to be honest.

"To protect myself I wore a scarred leather jacket and a permanent scowl. While walking home one night, I watched a couple cross the street to avoid me, and half a block later cross back. It was one of the better moments of my urban life. I felt vindicated for the general apprehension I carried in the street." pg 134 This whole section where Chris describes about his ghetto apartment and neighborhood really reminds me of Washington D.C. and my families condo. Although the condo is not directly in the ghetto it is not a few blocks away from a really bad part of town. I remember a few times when you could see helicopters fly over and police cars zoom by all at the same time. Another part of this section that I find interesting is the fact that it shows how people are very judge-mental of others. Just because Chris is wearing a leather jacket that is beaten up does not mean he is some biker thug criminal. I guess people do it instinctively just to be cautious but if I would have been the couple i would not have crossed the street again right away that seems pretty low ball even if they were scared of Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment